Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Thing One: What It Takes To Be A Lifelong Learner


The seven and a half habits of lifelong learning:
1.     Begin with end in mind
2.     Accept responsibility for your own learning
3.     View problems as challenges
4.     Have confidence in yourself as a competent effective learner
5.     Create your own learning toolbox
6.     Use technology to your advantage
7.     Teach/mentor others
       7 ½. Play
As a teacher-in-training I expect my future students to learn and grow from year to year. They are to build on past experiences and learn how to problem solve. As they get older they will be expected to be independent learners capable of forming their own thoughts and ideas. To see that these skills are obtained, my future students will need to be capable of becoming lifelong learners. But what does it take to be a lifelong learner?  I never thought about what components went into being a lifelong learner myself until reading the tutorial,  called Seven and 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learner.
Anytime I start a project I always think about what I want the big picture to be. This was; however, something that took me years to finally coach myself into doing. During high school, when assigned a book report or project, I would typically start off by procrastinating, picking a catchy opening or subject, and then by the middle of my work ( and a few days before being due) I would realize I didn’t have a clue as to what I was working towards. This is why I feel habit one should be stressed to teachers as well as students.  Learning to begin with the end in mind allowed me to learn how to set and achieve any goal that I set in life.
Habit two I feel is very important when working with elementary students. It is important at that age to lay down a solid foundation, and that should start with them knowing that they are responsible for their own work.
Habit three is a difficult one for anyone to keep in mind sometimes-especially me! When faced with a problem I typically seek out retail therapy. But as I get closer to my dream of being a teacher I am learning how to problem solve and research teaching methods needed to solve the problem at hand. So while this is probably the hardest habit for me to follow it is one that is being improved on.
Habit four, unlike habit three, is probably my easiest habit to follow. Being an educator has been my dream since first grade and I am confident that I can do this!
Habit five and six are something that I am constantly trying to build on. I love looking up websites, blogs, and pinterest ideas about teaching.
Habit seven is probably the funniest and most used of all the habits. As a teacher-in-training I constantly try to be a rule model to those around me. I also enjoy helping others and making any moment a teachable one.
Habit seven and a half I believe is the most important. I don’t ever want to get so caught up in the learning process that I forget to make learning, life, and school fun. I want to always take the time to be silly and entertain my students while still being able to teach them the important things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment