Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Thing Seven: A Pictures Worth A Thousand Words

Thing Seven: A Pictures Worth A Thousand Words

I love photography and wish I had more time to dedicate to learning about the art.For this exercise I had to explore the website flickr and quite frankly I was disappointed. I have used other photo uploading services before (Shutterfly) and feel that it is a much better site for personal use. One thing I did like about flickr was the explore search option because it allows you to view pictures from around the world, galleries based on subjects, and the commons where pictures from the past are stored.

Photo's I feel can be a vital part of the classroom experience. When learning about history children do not just need to hear about the experience they need to be able to visualize it as well.This is were flickr's the commons section I believe can be useful. Or when teaching about the 50 states or geography you can use flickr's world map and places category under the explore search option to show images of the area being studied. You can also pull up pictures from the galleries to use as writing prompts during language arts.


This picture was taken this past June (2012) when I went to Walt Disney World. I am such a kid at heart and absolutely loved seeing this show.  This might even be a cute picture to use as a writing prompt. You could ask your kids what type of books they think fairytale characters like to read!

This is also a picture taken from my trip to Disney. It was really neat being able to get so close to the animals. This was my fourth time visiting and was very fortunate to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge this time where they have  giraffes, zebras, and other animals right outside your balcony window. Which is where this photo was actually taken!



1 comment:

  1. I agree that photos can be vital to a classroom experience as well. Being as I'm going to be a History teacher, I completely agree that photos are important to get children to visualize it.
    I also agree that Flickr isn't the best site for photo sharing.
    I love Disney and also am a kid at heart. This picture is very cute and I love your idea to use it as a writing prompt.

    ReplyDelete