Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thing Fifteen: Wiki I Say...

Can you tell I struggled for a title for this thing. I'm cheesier than a bag of Cheetos! This post is all about wiki pages. One of the wiki spaces viewed was Westwood. Here they had student portfolios, and descriptions of classes offered. I did not like that the student portfolios could be viewed. I think that it should be set to a more secure setting. The work in their portfolios such listing interests, posting videos related to those interests, including community service work, and ideas that they had was a nice project. The book lovers was very similar to a blog I had to create in another education class where I described how to use different genres of children’s literature in the classroom.  
So wiki I say... overall I did not care for wikipages. I did not like their designs or page layouts. I just felt like the sights are not very helpful as well.  I think that webpage’s can be useful because you can keep parents informed and have student involvement with creating the page; however, there are other sites I like better. One in particular is Shutterfly! Here you can create a classroom webpage that is only open to those you allow to view it. It also allows you to create volunteer signup sheets on the sight, a school calendar, post updates about what’s going on in the classroom, and also upload pictures and videos made of students in the classroom. Parents also can purchase the pictures or videos and make their own posts on the webpage. It also allows you to link other useful sites for students and parents to view and create a chat room where parents can talk together as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment