Saturday, July 21, 2012

Thing Twelve: Handy-Dandy Google Tools


For this thing I was to look at some of the tools Google has to offer and explore what all they have to offer. The first one I looked at was Google Translator . And let me just say- AMAZING! This is perfect for teachers who may have parents or even students that do not speak English. You type in what you want to say in one box and in the other it translates it into another language (there are over 50 languages to pick). You can even click on the speaker icon at the bottom of the box so that it reads the translation out loud. Another one that I liked was Google books. For this one I started by typing in books for English language learners. I scrolled through the list and was surprised by the variety. There were some directed towards reading skills, improving testing, teaching science, strategies to use in the classroom, etc. These two were defiantly the most beneficial I found for teachers. On a non-educational note: I did also look at Google’s Recipe search also a new favorite way to search!

1 comment:

  1. I like Google translate too. Since I am going to teach ESL, I plan on using this tool a lot. It's great for translating single words or very short phrases, but watch out with longer phrases. The translator can get confused and turn out something that doesn't make any sense at all.

    ReplyDelete